Studying as a refugee

Studying as a refugee

If you have a residence permit and would like to study at Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, we welcome you! Below you find information on the available options and where to find support.

What do you need in order to study?

  • residence permit
  • valid diploma for admission to the study programme
  • sufficient knowledge of English (or Dutch)
  • sufficient funds to pay for the costs of studying

Switch to Dutch

Which study programmes can you follow at Zuyd?

  • Pre-bachelor for refugees in Dutch 
  • Bachelor study programmes in English 
  • Bachelor study programmes in Dutch
  • Associate degree programmes in Dutch 
  • Part time bachelor study programmes and short courses in Dutch 
  • Master study programmes in English or Dutch (not funded by the UAF)

The study programme webpages provide more information on the contents of the study programmes and admission.

Open Days

Visit an Open Day or an Experience Day /Taster Class to learn more about the study programmes. Participation is free and without obligation.

Enrolling for a study programme

If you know what study programme you want to do, and you meet the admission requirements, then you can sign up via Studielink.

Correct diploma
To find out whether you can be admitted with your diploma, you can first compare your diploma with a Dutch diploma.

Official diploma recognition
If you have signed up via Studielink, we will apply for an official diploma recognition for you. This is free.

Language level

At which level do you need to speak the language?

For study programmes in English:

  • B2 level (supported by a IELTSTOEFL, or Cambridge certificate)
  • exception: if you have a secondary education diploma from an institution in the European Union (EU), you do not need a certificate.

For study programmes in Dutch:

  • B2 level (NT2)
  • exception: C1 level is required for Education in Primary Schools. 

Corona: conditional admission without NT2.2 diploma

In case you have not been able to complete all the components of the NT2.2 diploma due to the corona crisis, you can be conditionally admitted to the program, provided that you meet the other enrolment requirements, such as a diploma for previous education, a residence permit and payment of tuition fees.

This conditional admission means that you can start studying at Zuyd, but you must pass the state exam NT2.2. 1 January 2021 at the latest. If you have not passed the NT2.2 exam, the academy director will be able to assess whether you can show otherwise that you meet the desired language level. If you do not meet the requested level, you will have to discontinue your studies at Zuyd and we will terminate your enrollment on December 31, 2020. 

From 15 June 2020, the State Exams NT2 will start again. For more information, visit the DUO website.

Read more Read less

Paying for your study programme

Studying costs money. This concerns tuition fees as well as books and a laptop. To pay for this, you as a holder of a residence permit may apply for student finance. This is a loan from the government. Read more about this on DUO's website.


The UAF helps refugees to find work or studying opportunities and can also provide financial support. This money is intended for tuition fees, language courses, books, and other costs of studying. Follow the steps to find out whether you are eligible.

Help with the procedures
Different procedures apply for refugee students. Use the Pathfinder tool  to find out what you need to do in your situation.

Who can help you at Zuyd?

Our deans can help you with the procedures. It's possible to make an appointment by telephone: +31 (0)45-400 62 53. In case of no reply, clearly leave your name and telephone number after the voicemail message. You'll be called back as soon as possible.