Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

This page contains the frequently asked questions about the coronavirus. Is your question not listed here? Then please contact one of the contact persons as mentioned below.

Work and Study

  • Can I go to Zuyd University of Applied Sciences?

    Employees and students still work, meet and study at home and online as much as possible. You may come to Zuyd if you are scheduled for an activity, or at the times/days agreed with your manager and team. Come only when and for the time that you have a scheduled activity and leave the location immediately afterwards. Follow the guidelines that apply to your location (on Zuydnet, only for students and employees) and follow the general (hygiene) guidelines of the RIVM.

  • What do I have to take into account when I come to Zuyd for a (compulsory) lesson or test?

    In order to be able to organize studying and working on location safely and to minimize the risk of contamination, Zuyd has taken various hygiene and logistical measures, such as extra cleaning, making disinfectant hand soap and hand gel available, separate entrances and walking routes, one-way traffic and priority rules on narrow staircases. The most important regulations are

    • Come to Zuyd (preferably) by (moped)bike, on foot or by car. If possible, avoid travelling by train or bus.
    • Only come to the location when (and for the time that) you have a scheduled activity or at the times/days agreed with your manager and team. Leave the location immediately after.
    • Follow the guidelines in and around the buildings (walking routes, see map of your location) and follow the instructions of employees. This is compulsory (see Student Charter).
    • Do not come to Zuyd if you or one of your housemates has corona-related health problems, such as a nose cold, cough, sore throat, light cough or fever.
  • I can't participate in a (compulsory) lesson or test on location because of the coronavirus, what does that mean for me?

    Our starting point is that the corona crisis will prevent study delays for students as much as possible. Where possible, your study programme will provide an online alternative to tests and will inform you about this in good time. Only if you are ( proven) unable to participate in a (compulsory) lesson or test for one of the following reasons, the number of times that you are allowed to participate in a test according to the Education and Examination Regulations will remain or you will be given the opportunity to make up for the practical training session:

    • You are or have been ill due to the coronavirus;
    • You have complaints that may be related to the coronavirus, such as fever, coughing or sore throat;
    • A housemate is (has been) ill due to the coronavirus or has complaints that may be related to corona (fever and/or tightness of the chest);
    • You are in home isolation because you or a housemate has had contact with someone infected with the coronavirus;
    • You are staying in home quarantine after arrival or return in the Netherlands from a country for which according to the information of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs a travel advice with color code red or orange applies;

    • You provide family care for sick relatives;

    • You have to combine education with care for children who are at home because of the corona measures;
    • You belong to a high-risk group according to information from the RIVM or one or more housemates belong to a high-risk group.

    If your study progress is compromised, you can submit a request to the examination board for an extra chance.

  • I don't want to travel to Zuyd, what does that mean for my (compulsary) lesson or test?

    Not wanting to come to Zuyd because you don't think it's safe to travel is not a valid reason not to take part in a (compulsory) lesson or test.

    The government and transport companies are doing everything they can to make travelling during the corona crisis [in Dutch] as safe as possible. It is your own responsibility to follow the rules and instructions concerning traffic and transport during your journey to the Zuyd location.

    However, we kindly ask you to come to Zuyd by bike, moped, foot or car if possible, in order to keep the pressure on public transport as low as possible.

  • I don't find it safe to come to the Zuyd-location, can I catch up with my (compulsary) lesson or test later?

    Zuyd makes every effort to organise tests and practical training on location as safely as possible for everyone. Measures have been taken at all locations to minimise the risk of contamination. Not wanting to come to Zuyd because you don't think it's safe is therefore not a valid reason not to participate in a (compulsory) lesson or test. Contact your student counsellor if you have any personal objections to participate in a (compulsory) lesson or test on location. Employees who do not want to work on location for fear of contamination will discuss this with their manager.

  • Do I have to wear a mouth mask on location?

    Wearing a mouth mask is not mandatory for tests, but of course it is allowed. For a number of practical lessons/tests it is compulsory to wear a mouth mask. You will be given this prior to the lesson or test. Your study programme will inform you about this.

  • Missing classes and exams threatens to delay my studies. What should I do?

    Your study programme will continue lessons online as much as possible. Tests which cannot take place online and practical training in preparation for tests will be offered on location. The starting point is and remains that we put the safety of everyone first and within the possibilities offered by the government and the RIVM we try to prevent or minimize the study delay. In many cases, this will require customisation. Keep an eye on the messages from your study programme. Your study programme will inform you about alternatives and possibilities. If you are very worried, contact your study career counsellor or coach or the student counsellor (consult Zuydnet).

  • I have to work or follow education from home. What are the possibilities for this within Zuyd?

    All developments and measures concerning online education and working from home can be found on the online education page. Consult this page for manuals, instructions and all systems available for working or studying from home. Also keep an eye on the information from your study programme about how your study programme offers online education.

  • The organization where I do my internship or teach has different guidelines than Zuyd. This affects my internship/study/work. Which guidelines then apply to me?

    In principle, Zuyd employees and students follow the guidelines of the internship company and take into account any adjusted attendance and behavioural policies of these organisations. In general, internships will continue, unless the employer has reason to discontinue the activity due to corona (measures). In that case, you will check with your internship supervisor whether you can achieve your learning outcomes in that situation.

    If you have doubts about your safety at the internship address, consult your coach at the workplace and at school. The guidelines of the RIVM are always leading.

    Are you doing an internship in healthcare? The healthcare institution in question is the first to decide whether you can make a contribution to patient care. The safety of patients, students and employees in the care institution is paramount. You have the possibility to indicate to the care and educational institution that you do not wish to continue the internship for personal reasons.

  • What does the corona crisis mean for the Binding Recommendation to Terminate Studies (BSA)?

    The ministry has requested universities of applied sciences to postpone the binding study advice (BSA) until the next academic year. In principle, universities of applied sciences postpone giving a BSA until the end of the second academic year (academic year 2020-2021).  We will explore the impact of these measures and inform you in soon about the consequences of these measures.

  • I want to continue my education at a university, but I don't get my diploma in time. What can I do?

    If the coronavirus does not allow you to obtain your diploma in time to register for a university studie, ask for a completion advice (in Dutch: Afrondingsadvies) in time. In the completion advice, your study programme states that they expect you to complete your propaedeutic or bachelor's degree before 1 January 2021. With this advice, you can register (conditionally) with the university until 1 August at the latest. Read more about continuing your studies at Zuydnet (for students and staff).

  • I don't have an NT2.2 degree yet. Can I still start an study programme at Zuyd?

    If you do not yet have the diploma NT2.2 (state examination Dutch), you can be admitted to the programme of your choice anyway, subject to conditions. A condition is that you meet all other enrolment requirements. Think for example of a diploma for previous education, a residence permit and payment of tuition fees. Read more about this on the page enrolment.


  • I live in Belgium. Can I travel to the Netherlands for study or work?

    Belgium has designated the province of Dutch Limburg as an area with 'code orange'. This means that unnecessary travel between Belgium and Dutch Limburg is not recommended. Traveling between both countries for work or study remains possible. However, you must download and fill in a form if you have stayed in Dutch Limburg for more than 48 hours before returning to Belgium, or if you are staying in Belgium for more than 48 hours. The form and more information can be found on this site.

    More information about the Belgian measures in relation to travel abroad can be found on the website of the Federal Government Foreign Affairs.

  • I want to travel abroad, can I go?

    Many countries have taken drastic measures to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus. The situation in a country or region can change rapidly, leading to new or strict measures being taken, such as introducing a curfew, a (local) lockdown, closing areas and closing borders. The government has indicated that it will not provide for repatriation operations again. Furthermore, you may be faced with unforeseen challenges and/or extra costs that are not covered by Zuyd and in many cases not covered by your travel insurance.

    For the reasons mentioned above, Zuyd applies the following policy.

    For students: Zuyd advises you not to travel to countries or regions with a code yellow travel advice with the exception of code yellow regions in Belgium or Germany. If, despite this advice, you still decide to travel abroad, as a student you accept the risks mentioned above and the possible (financial) consequences. Study or internship related trips to countries or regions with a code red or orange travel advice are not allowed.

    For employees: Currently, only internship visits and seminars in code yellow regions in Belgium and Germany are allowed. Work-related trips to countries or regions with code red or orange travel advice are not allowed.

  • I am currently studying or working abroad. What should I do?

    Students and employees who are currently still abroad are advised to keep a close eye on developments. Many countries have taken measures that may have consequences with regard to travel and/or departure from that country. Check the latest information on changes in air traffic on the English-language website of the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Follow the safety measures prescribed by the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs [in Dutch]. Check regularly for updates. Avoid contact with sick people and places where many people gather. Stay in contact with your study programme or head of programme. 

  • I will be travelling (back) to the Netherlands from abroad, what should I take into account?

    For travellers arriving in the Netherlands from countries and regions that have code orange or red according to the Dutch central government, the government issues an urgent advice to go into (home) quarantine for 10 days after arrival in the Netherlands. Consult - also just before leaving for the Netherlands - this page for the most current list of countries and regions to which this urgent advice applies. Staff and students of Zuyd can get a free test. Contact GGD Zuid-Limburg via 088-8805005.

    If you are travelling from a country or region for which the Dutch central government code is green or yellow, this urgent advice does not apply and you (again) can follow the guidelines of the RIVM and the Dutch and local authorities that apply to this category. 

  • I want to return to the Netherlands, but am stuck abroad and am unable to arrange my return myself? What should I do?

    Read the frequently asked questions about assistance in returning to the Netherlands. Are you stranded abroad and in need of help? Then you can call +31 247 247 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Stay in contact with your study programme or your head of programme.

  • I’m a student and I’m currently staying abroad because of my study. I have to terminate my foreign residence early, because of the coronavirus. What does this mean for my study?

    In view of the circumstances, the examination committee offers tailor-made solutions that are tailored to the specific situation.


  • I can't go to school because of the coronavirus. Do I have to keep paying my tuition fees?

    If you are enrolled as a student, you must continue to pay tuition fees. All study programmes make every effort to continue offering (online) education.

  • I can no longer pay my tuition fees due to financial problems as a result of the corona crisis. What do I have to do?

    Please contact We will be happy to deal with this situation and work with you to find a tailor-made solution.

  • I'm experiencing a study delay due to the corona crisis. Who's paying for that?

    In the first instance, contact your study programme to discuss to what extent it is possible to prevent your study delay. If you do run into a study delay, contact your student counsellor (consult Zuydnet). 

    Because the corona crisis is considered force majeure, it is not possible to get a discount or reclaim your tuition fees. We follow the guidelines of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (see the Servicedocument Hoger Onderwijs [in Dutch]). In some cases, the government provides financial support to students. For more information, please visit the Duo website [in Dutch].  

  • I am unable to work or work less due to the corona crisis and I have financial problems.

    If you are a Dutch or EU student with study finance/OV and you do not yet have a maximum loan from DUO, you can (temporarily) increase your loan. This can be done retroactively to the start of this academic year.

    You can borrow extra for the tuition fee: the tuition fee credit. You can also apply for this with retroactive effect to the start of this academic year.

    Perhaps you can apply for a supplementary grant. The supplementary grant depends on your parents' income. You can apply for a supplementary grant with retroactive effect to the start of this academic year.

    Do you have a supplementary grant and will your parents' income drop in 2020? If so, your parents can apply to have their income moved from the reference year to 2020. You may then receive a higher supplementary grant.

    Are you already using the above possibilities and are you still in trouble? If so, contact DUO and discuss your situation. DUO will deal with your situation in a lenient manner and, where possible, apply tailor-made solutions.

    If you nevertheless find yourself in financial difficulties, please contact your student counsellor.

  • I am an EU student with a Dutch study grant. Due to the corona crisis, I am no longer able to meet DUO's requirement to work 56 hours per month. What can I do?

    You have to prove to DUO that it is a case of force majeure. You do this with a statement from your employer. The statement must state that you were not allowed to work or worked less because of the coronavirus. It must also state the period of time involved. Contact DUO.

  • I am an EU student without a Dutch study grant. The coronavirus is causing me financial problems. Can I get an allowance from the Dutch government?

    You can apply to DUO for a loan to pay the tuition fee: the tuition fee credit. You can apply for this loan retroactively from the start of this academic year. However, if you are unable to pay your tuition fees, please contact If you nevertheless find yourself in financial difficulties, please contact your student counsellor (consult Zuydnet).

  • Due to the corona crisis, I have a study delay which means that I can no longer get my diploma within the 10-year diploma period of DUO.

    Contact your student dean (consult Zuydnet). Together with you, he or she can submit a request to extend the diploma period.

  • I am an international student without the right to Dutch study financing. Due to the coronavirus, I run into financial problems. What can I do?

    Contact your student counsellor (consult Zuydnet).

  • I can't pay my rent anymore. What should I do?

    Contact your landlord. The government has promised that landlords will not put tenants on the street if they have payment problems due to the corona crisis.


  • When should I stay home or call the doctor? I have complaints that fit the new coronavirus. What should I do?

    If you have any questions about the coronavirus, your health, how to prevent its spread and what to do if you have complaints, you can visit the website of the RIVM (National Institute for Public Health and the Environment) and the Government of the Netherlands . If you want to know what to do in case of complaints in relation to your work or study, take a look at the 'decision tree'.

    If you think you may have caught the coronavirus, of course you'll stay in and get tested. And you contact the Corona information line GGD Zuid Limburg, T 088 - 880 5005. So you do not report to the national call centre but directly to the GGD Zuid Limburg, after which you will be tested for corona as soon as possible. The Municipal Health Service (GGD) will discuss the results with you and, if necessary, contact Zuyd University of Applied Sciences if additional measures prove necessary. This applies to all students and staff members, even when you do not live in South Limburg or live abroad (e.g. Belgium or Germany). You can also get tested for free if you have no complaints.

    In addition, contact your manager or study programme and discuss what the quarantine and/or sick leave means for your work or study.

  • What measures does Zuyd take?

    At the moment, the following measures apply:

    • We work and study from home and online as much as possible.
    • Students and staff are welcome on location for a scheduled activity or on the days/times that this has been agreed with the manager or team.

    • Hygiene and logistical measures have been taken to ensure safe testing on location, such as extra cleaning, the provision of disinfectant hand soap and hand gel, separate entrances and walking routes, one-way traffic and priority rules on narrow staircases. Read more about the measures and regulations at your location.

Contact persons Zuyd

  • Visitors, parents and relations: contact Zuyd by email:
  • Students: contact your study programme or send an email: (mention your study programme!).
  • Teachers/staff: contact your head of programme or send an email:
  • Head of programme/managers: consult Zuydnet for relevant contacts and contact details.
  • Journalists: contact Rolf van Stenus on 06 2375 7221 or via